Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Welcome to the Fabulous Riviera on Las Vegas Boulevard.....

.......oh wait. I'm staying at the fabulous Air Force Inn for $30/night. Normally that's not a bad thing as the 'hotel' on Nellis Air Force Base is probably the nicest I've ever seen on a base. (Sidenote: Don't EVER stay on an Army base!) But they are struggling so far on this stay. My remote control doesn't work, no ESPN (seriously?), it took a half hour to check in, the internet is as slow as old-school dial-up, and I got a 6 a.m. wake-up call that I didn't order. That's a bad start.

Also, I'd like to share a little known Vegas fact. A section of it near the base actually smells worse than Terre Haute on its worst day. I kid you not, this place has a stench issue between I-15 and the base. Don't leave your vehicle unless it's an emergency.

I had an uneventful trip over here. And as excited as I've been about my new laptop, making my first trip with it has been even better. I packed for a week in a small duffel bag, mostly because my laptop is the size of a hardback novel. On the flight from Dallas (where I connected) they showed the movie '21'. That's the movie about the MIT kids counting cards and making big money in Vegas playing blackjack. It was obviously a fitting movie to watch on the way to Vegas, and was a pretty decent story. I'm sure they had to compress the technical details to keep the movie interesting, but I seriously doubt that counting cards is that efficient and effective. I'll try it tonight (jk), but tables just can't get 'hot' that easily.

So, ya know how I said I only travel about once a month? Yeah, about that......I'm suddenly booked pretty full for travel between now and Christmas with trips to Purdue, Univ. of Michigan (both to interview grads), DC for two meetings, back here to Vegas again, and my Alabama golfing trip now looks like poor timing. I think I only have about 15 days actually at my desk until next year. NO MAS!

OK, it's almost 7 a.m. here and I need to finish getting ready and head over for work. I may post again this week if anything interesting happens (that's fit for parents' and grandparents' ears, of course! ;-)

See ya!

No comments: