Sunday, September 14, 2008

Holy Hurricane Winds, Batman!

Well, according to the news, 100,000 people don't have power in the dayton area because we've had hellacious winds today (sustained winds up to 50mph with gusts over 70mph). Luckily my condo still has power. But I was at Dorothy Lane Market this afternoon, which is a fancy-pants grocery store that has amazing produce, deli, etc., and the power went out there just before I was getting in line to check out. (I bought all the ingredients for 'Golden Beef & Apple Cider Stew'. I'll let ya know how it turns out.) They couldn't get their generator to work, and after about 20 minutes of standing around in the dark they started just estimating the cost of items in people's carts and letting customer's pay with cash. I'm pretty sure I got a good deal, as my estimated cost was $32, but usually I spend closer to $50+. But I don't ever pay attention to how much crap costs at the grocery store. I just grab something and throw it in the cart.....I was at the mercy of the 16 year old cashier, but she was definitely estimating low and I wasn't going to stop her.





Since you're reading this you know that I survived my trip to Rome, NY. But as I mentioned earlier, my hotel was very creepy and should probably be the setting of a horror movie. Heavy forest surrounding a 1-story hotel with the exterior doors isn't a good idea. Don't go to 'The Beeches' in Rome, even though this picture doesn't look that horrible. It's unsafe.







I went to the baseball Hall of Fame this wednesday, and that place is officially impressive. They know how to do a hall of fame. Basically the entire town is the 'hall of fame' because all the stores and crap around the actual HoF are devoted to baseball too. I was only there for just over 2 hours, so I didn't even come close to seeing everything. But I did take plenty of pictures. Here's the Cardinals official locker (with random stuff in it), and Ozzie's plaque.

I also had a pretty Christmas-y week. I finally cooked up the awesome beef and noodles Aunt Lou gave lots of us at Christmas. That's some good eatin'. The only 'problem' is that it could feed about 10 people. I've eaten it for basically every meal since friday, and I'm only about half way through it. While at the HoF I bought some Christmas gifts, which is easily the earliest I've ever done that before. Landon's getting a book called 'Hello Fredbird', written by the one and only Ozzie Smith. Maybe it will overtake Cars as his favorite thing on earth! (Unlikely....)


That's all I've got this week. I need to crank on a paper for my master's class that is due tomorrow.....

No comments: