Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Oh Rome, NY, Why Are You So Shitty?

So, I'm in Rome, NY. My best analogy for describing this glorious town is to imagine Salem, IL, in 1983 (Effingham has too many restaurants to draw parallels to Rome). Basically what I'm saying is this place has no appeal for out-of-towners.

I was originally supposed to be traveling with a co-worker that has been here several times before. She didn't end up making the trip, but she did manage to recommend the hotel I'm staying at. This recommendation was poor. I just stepped out to take a picture, but it's dark and I fear the dark woods just beyond my door (btw, Pujols just hit a 3-run homer to tie the Cubs!) This is one of those old-school hotels that is one-story and has all the doors to the rooms on the outside. What makes this one creepy is that it's surrounded by thick forest. It does have free internet and digital cable, but the setting is slightly unsettling. As a non-obese male in his 20's I doubt any perpetrators would view me as the lame zebra in the pack, so I really don't think I'm going to be targeted. But I wouldn't want to stay here alone if I was a more inviting target. And I'm not going to be thrilled if some senior citizen gets attacked next door...

The only good thing about this trip is that I'm only 50 miles from Cooperstown, NY, so I'm going to hit up the baseball hall of fame before my flight out of Syracuse tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes if I keep doing this blogging thing. For now I'll just back-fill you all on some other halls of fame:
  1. Football Hall of Fame - Canton, OH. Don't waste the gas. Total letdown.
  2. Hockey Hall of Fame - Toronto, Canada (the 52nd state). Much better than the football hall of fame. It's reasonably interesting even for non-hockey fans.
  3. Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame - Cleveland, OH. Another mediocre review. My hall of fame experience so far has led me to speculate that all of them are just OK.

OK, I'm done. But I'll post a video that you all may find humorous for its saturated level of ridiculousness.


1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Well hello, Blogger!

This hotel wasn't the Paul Bunyan Inn, was it? That might not be the name of the place, but I remember a very frightening motel connected to a Denny's. Nothing connected to a Denny's is ever good news.

Looking forward to more updates!