Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nothin' Special Here

Before I begin to ramble, I feel compelled to provide just a little more context around the air conditioner story from last week. The only reason that really occurred was because I happened to be home (clay county 'home', not ohio 'home') during one of the first really warm few days of spring. If I had been in Ohio that weekend I would have certainly turned my A/C on, and mom and dad probably wouldn't have turned on theirs. They only turned it on because they love me so much......and because I inherited a lot of advanced bickering genes, which makes me prone to complaining about certain things more than I should....on to random events and thoughts (nothin' too good in here this week).

What do I have in common with Cal Ripkin, Jr.? We both had streaks! Today was the first sunday in May that I did NOT eat breakfast at Cracker Barrel. I did actually send out a text message yesterday looking for some interest from friends to keep the streak alive this morning, but there were no takers. It's probably a good thing, actually. I think if I eat at Cracker Barrel too many sundays in a row my nickname will certainly not be 'The Iron Man', like Cal Ripken. People would probably call me 'Fat Ass', or something to that effect. (The 'affect' / 'effect' grammar rule is the ONE rule I always question myself on. I should just quit using the words. I should also quit using prepositions at the end of sentences, but instead I just blatantly disobey this rule.)

***********NEWSFLASH*************
We can now end sentences with prepositions. That 'rule' was merely a myth, according to the internet (which is always accurate).

http://wordplayblog.com/grammar-myth-1-ending-a-sentence-with-a-preposition/
**********BACK TO THE BLOG********

I played in a sand volleyball tournament yesterday. There's really not much else to say about this. It was men's doubles. I played with a guy I work with. (that was liberating to end in 'with' without feeling guilty!) We didn't win. The top of my feet got sun-burned. Good times.

There is some serious tension in the 'Reserves of Beavercreek' today (that's where I live). I was walking back to my patio from a short run when I stumbled into a heated exchange between my bitter neighbor who lives above me and a girl throwing her garbage away in the dumpster. Rita (my bitter neighbor) was yelling at the girl for not closing the door on the dumpster. Apparently Rita previously put up a sign (that I never saw, is now long gone, and would have been summarily ignored even if she painted it on the door) to let everyone know how she feels about this particular subject. If you are wondering, she feels 'passionate'. Unfortunately, I walked right into the middle of this exchange and they both eventually turned to me, as though I had something to do with it. I said (with far too much disdain, I'm sure) "Let it go, Rita. It'll be OK.".

No, no it won't be OK. She assured me of this. I don't know what all she goes through while I'm at work all day, and she is here. She spent over 3 hours trying to kill all the flies and bugs that flew into her condo the other day. At this point I began to meditate and nod my head in agreement. I'm not sure what else she had on her mind, but 20 minutes later I was allowed back into my condo. (Somewhere in the middle of this the actual perpetrator must have managed to slip away. I'm not sure where she went.....) One thing I do recall her mentioning was "I thought you were a good guy", as though she was a girlfriend and I was breaking up with her. I think she also threatened to start letting her grandchildren run around and make more noise so that I can begin to understand how awful life truly is. She is a really unhappy person, and it's starting to take over the neighborhood. I didn't even know I had such a huge bug problem due to the somewhat nearby dumpster. But now I'm pretty pissed off about it myself. This is the personal side of the housing slump that most people don't see. If the housing market wasn't so shitty she would've already moved on to make other neighbors miserable. But for the time-being we are all stuck together, with far too many bugs that can magically crawl through screens, here in the wonderful sun-shiny neighborhood known as the Reserves of Beavercreek.

Would anyone like to buy my condo?

No comments: